The Fabulist accepts submissions of poetry, short fiction, visual art, and nonfiction (reviews, essays, articles, interviews), by invitation only or during periodic open calls.
Open Call for short fiction, Oct. 8-Nov. 12
The Fabulist Words & Art’s next open call for short fiction will run from October 8 at 12:00 a.m. through 11:59 p.m., November 12. We will read and respond to submissions through January 2022; selected works will be scheduled for publication throughout 2022.
NOTE: 2021 was our final year as a non-paying market. For works published in 2022, as a first step toward ultimately offering a per-word rate, we will be paying a $25 honorarium to all contributors.
Writer Guidelines & Submission Portal: To review our writer guidelines and, beginning October 8, submit your work for our current open call, please visit our Submittable page.
Poetry submissions are at this time by invitation only.
There is no current open call for visual art.
The Fabulist publishes art with a fantastical inclination, and welcomes flavors of the absurd, surreal, magic realist, and strange/bizarre. Artworks can invoke dreams, fantasy and science fiction, myth, folklore/fairy-stories, and comics; and can explore symbolism, human nature, identity, horror, mystery and the unknown/unknowable. Regardless of the foregoing, some fantastical element is what makes the difference.
General Submissions Policies
• We never, ever charge reading fees
• Submissions are only accepted through Submittable during open calls, or by invitation of the editors
• We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know right away if your work is accepted elsewhere
• Do not email your submission; you will not receive a response
Statement on Non-Discrimination
Submissions are welcome and encouraged from contributors regardless of ethnicity, faith, continental ancestry, national origin, gender, and sexuality. Please do not feel constrained; we are honored that you would consider The Fabulist, and thank you for the opportunity to review your work.
Evaluation process & response time
Submissions are reviewed by committee through several evaluation phases that last from three weeks to three months. On occasion it may take us six months or more to arrive at a decision for certain works.
If you have submitted using Submittable or, previously, Green Submissions, and haven’t received a decision after six months (or more), feel free to send a letter to the editors for a status check.
Rights, fees & publishing details
• 2021 was our final year as a non-paying market. For works published in 2022 we will be paying a $25 honorarium to all contributors.
• The Fabulist requests first serial rights for 6 (six) months; non-exclusive electronic archival rights on our website in perpetuity; and an option on anthology, print, ebook and audio rights, to be negotiated separately. Authors, poets and artists are otherwise the exclusive owners of their work.