Current open calls
There are no open calls at this time. See below for general submissions policies.
General Submissions Policies
• Submissions are only accepted through Submittable during open calls.
• Do not email submission; you will not receive a response.
Evaluation process & response time
Stories are reviewed by committee through several evaluation phases that last from three weeks to six months or more.
If you have submitted using Submittable or, previously, Green Submissions, and haven’t received a decision after six months (or more), feel free to send a letter to the editors for a status check.
Rights, fees & publishing details
The Fabulist never charges a reading fee. We regret that The Fabulist is not at this time a paying market.
The Fabulist requests first serial rights for 6 (six) months, non-exclusive electronic archival rights on our website in perpetuity, and an option on anthology and print rights. Authors, poets and artists are otherwise the exclusive owners of their work.
Net proceeds from any future ebook and/or print publications by The Fabulist will be shared 50/50 between the author and The Fabulist, or pro-rated for anthologies with other creators.
Sure, that’s fine, but please let us know promptly if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
• Sublimated (or overt) misogyny/racism/bigotry played out in wretched attempts at literary sophistry
PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE SUBMITTING, WE’VE REALLY SEEN QUITE ENOUGH OF:
• Zombies, zombie apocalypse
• Teenage vampirism/lycanthropy + romance
• Virtual-reality visitations with the beloved deceased
• “Another Friday Night at the Elftown Police Station”
• “And then she/he/they woke up” (which includes not just it-was-all-a-dream but also we’re-all-living-in-a-giant-simulation).